Bird VetCare Package
With the help of our Bird VetCare Package, first-time bird owners and experienced bird owners alike can get a little extra help with managing their companion’s needs.
- Our VetCare Packages are for healthy pets only
- Because the VetCare Packages are already discounted, they cannot be purchased with CareCredit or Scratchpay, and no coupons or other discounts can be applied
This Package Includes
- Comprehensive Health Checkup Since birds tend to hide signs of illness, it’s important for them to be examined by one of our vets.
- Fecal Analysis Checking a fecal sample from your bird can alert us to potentially harmful bacteria and yeast.
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) Just one drop of blood can help us screen your bird for signs of anemia, inflammation, and infection.
- Infectious Disease Screens We can screen your bird for chlamydiosis (parrot fever), polyoma virus, herpes, and other contagious and serious illnesses.
- • Chlamydiosis (Parrot fever): This disease causes severe illness in birds that can be passed on to humans.
- • Polyoma Virus: This virus causes severe systemic disease in birds, but there is a vaccine available that can be given to young birds.
- • Pacheco’s Disease (Herpes): Herpes attacks the liver in birds.
- • Psittacine Beak & Feather Disease Virus: This disease causes feather abnormalities and immune suppression.
- Nail Trim We can trim your bird's nails for their comfort and safety, and to be safer for you.
- Package Add-Ons:Wing Trim:
Standard $20, as Package Add-On $10
Standard $60, as Package Add-On $40
DNA Sexing: Knowing your bird’s gender is very important. It can save valuable diagnostic time if your bird becomes ill, as reproductive complications are a major concern for females.
Standard $40, as Package Add-On $30
Microchipping: Microchip identification is a safe and highly effective means of identifying your pet. It enables lost pets to be reunited with their owners. You will register your pet’s microchip online.
- $480With our Bird VetCare Package, you receive $560 worth of care for only $480.
- How do I sign up for a VetCare Package? Purchase online, then make reservation online
Signs Your Bird May be Having a Health Emergency
If you’re not familiar with a bird’s behaviors and what they say about their health, you might not notice there’s anything wrong until the problem becomes much more severe. Call our hospital at (843) 216-8387 if you notice any of the following:
- Sitting at the bottom of the cage instead of perching (weakness)
- Feathers are ruffled up
- A very pronounced keel bone
- Not eating
- Closing/squinting of the eyes
- Discharge from the eyes, ears, mouth, and/or nose
- Difficulty breathing
- Tail bobbing
- Sleeping more often
- Loose droppings
- Blood in droppings
- Sudden color change in stool or urine
What to Expect with Bird Wellness Visits
Transporting Your Bird to Our Clinic
To transport your bird, we recommend a smaller and lighter cage or carrier (acrylic cages are attractive but not ideal for transportation). Individual carriers for each bird also makes caring for them easier.
Remove any food and water from your bird’s cage before securing it, and place paper towels inside to absorb urine and, if needed, monitor fecal output.
Small plastic kennels and/or collapsible metal cages (with or without a perch) with newspaper or paper towels on the bottom also work very well for transporting your bird safely and comfortably.
Common Diseases and Conditions in Birds
Some of the more commonplace health conditions we see in birds of all kinds include:
- Hormonal issues
If you ever suspect your bird is unwell, call us right away at (843) 216-8387!
Care Sheets and Handouts
Below are some useful resources to help you provide the best care for your bird: